Tuesday 17 February 2015

Release!... Sort of.

Be free my child!
It's been nearly two years since I last contributed to this blog. Two years! My oh my, how things have changed. I can't say I've given this pet project the attention I wish I could. I still love this game the way I did on day one and there are still features I hope to implement. There's a major problem with that plan though. In the last two years I've formally learned many interesting and useful new skills.

(Un)fortunately I learned software architecture.


Holy crap is the architecture behind The Wanderer bad. There are certain good practices I manged to stumble into by accident. I managed to reinvent the observer and factory programming patterns by pure intuition, I can't say I'm not proud of that feat. The rest of it? Yikes! Discovering modularization has ruined me!


Unfortunately like a two week old curry, I just can't stomach the structure of my source code. I still tinker he and there and maybe someday I'll wade through the gooey core and implement some new features and fixes however I'm tempted to simply start over.



Pretty spiffy banner in my opinion
So what happens now? Well, recently web retailer itch.io put out the call for developers to submit their unfinished projects to be hosted on the site. It might not have a menu, it might not run well, it might be missing sounds and features but it's now up there and you can play it.

Click Here and follow the instructions to download the game.


I think I'll come back to this blog. I have a history here after all. I really enjoy writing about making games and I still make games. The Wanderer is the closest I've come to release but I'm hoping to change that. Maybe stay tuned?

No comments:

Post a Comment